Monday, October 15, 2007

POLITICS

I'm changing the topic of this blog to politics.

Honoring local folks is a great topic that rewards positive actions. But the topic requires a lot of attention and reporting that I just can't keep up with. Hopefully somebody can pick it up, because I think it's needed. We welcome blogs run by readers and viewers.

Somebody told me once to blog about what you know, that leaves ... not much.

But I do consume political news and, working for a newspaper, bump into elected officials and government issues now and then. I'm no expert, but I think a local political blog will be fun and informative.

I'll try to comment on city, county, state and national politics. My intention is to keep it respectiveful and relevant, and have a little fun. So with that, heregoes ....

Will Geta Goodwin run for state Senate again? Will Kasha Kelley run for her seat?

Word is that Greta is getting some pressure from moderate Republicans to run again to protect the seat for the Moderate Republican majority that still runs the Kansas state senate. If the seat were held by a conservative Republican like Kasha, conservatives could control the Senate like they do House and perhaps be better positioned to advance things like deeper tax cuts and abortion restrictions. Right now, the Senate is run by Republicans with a practical streak like Steve Morris and Derek Schmidt, more willing to work with Gov. Sebelius to pass legislation, i.e. education spending, gambling, limited tax cuts.

Neither Greta nor Kasha has announced a decision, and of course the primary election isn't until Aug. 5 Candidates don't have to file until June.

If Kasha runs against Greta, expect a major clash of ideas on how government in Kansas should operate.

No comments: