Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Leach's response ...

TO A QUESTION FROM A READER ASKING WHY HE SWITCHED FROM DEMO TO REPO

Dear Interested Citizen,

Thanks for your question. I really appreciate the chance to interact with those who will be deciding the next person they want to represent their district and more personally, themselves. It is certainly reasonable to wonder why a candidate would change party affiliations. My answer may sound simple but I have come to believe that theRepublican platform has come to model more closely how I feel about various issues in the political arena. Parties such as Democrats and Republicans have party platforms that have evolved over time. Even todays party platforms may look dramatically different 10 years from now than they do today. As a matter of integrity, I believe that candidates should remain open-minded to issues that affect us in our everyday lives so that if it becomes necessary to switch party affiliations, we have enough courage to do so. My experience in the military has taught me that to be a leader, you can't blindly follow the course you are placed on without considering all options available to you. In politics, it should be no different. You should feel confident that you will elect someone who will listen, evaluate, and not blindly follow before making a decision on important political issues that affect us all.

You ask about Bob Voegle and I do not know Bob so I can't speak to his motivation for wanting to change party affiliations. I can only give you insight into what leads me to decide it's the right thing for me to do. I hope my answer is helpful. Thanks again for your question.

My motto is and has always been you must lead from the front.

George

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since the Republican and Democratic parties so closely mirror one and other now, which issues specifically did you disagree with the Democrats on and agree with the Republicans on that caused you to switch?

Anonymous said...

They mirror each other? Explain that one to me.

Anonymous said...

I just changed my voter registration to Independent, and it felt good. The Democrat and Republican parties have strayed far away from their roots recently.