Sunday, January 6, 2008

Obama movement

Thursday night I watched speeches of the candidates after the Iowa election results were in. Mike Huckabee was great. Humble and inspirational ..... money can't buy votes, and people want a new kind of leadership that values average Americans.

Then Obama's turn came. He won't outshine Huckabee, I thought. But he reached another level altogether. There he was, alone on a stage, elevated above frenzied supporters feeding him inspiration and confidence. I know this sounds corny but he looked regal, dignified and his words cemented that image.

It contrasted with Clinton's speech, where she basically listed some issues and bounced around on topics. Her advisors stood behind her, including Bill and others from the past. The old guard, whose time had come and gone.

Obama stood by himself. Above all the political choas, and gaving a sweeping speech about hope and unity and political transcendence that was both believiable and aspirational. I at least for a few minutes there, I was completely swept up in the words and images.

He has definately tapped into a powerful sentiment — like Kennedy's "ask not" theme and Reagan's "Morning in America."

I've never heard or felt anything like it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Was you watching the same speech as me? I wouldn't say any of it stuck with me or I was moved by it or that it had JFK, Reagan luster. He does however give a good speech. I just wouldn't go that far. I guess it all depends on who you like. I still don't think he has the experience or the qualities I am looking for. His record in the Senate is far from sparkling. He votes present on all the hard issues -- I'm pretty sure as President he'll actually have to make some decisions. I'll take him over Hillary any day, but other than giving a good speech, I'm not sure he can make tough decisions.

Anonymous said...

Obama is inspirational, and hopeful, but his message is intellectually dishonest. Politicians have been utilizing the polarization of America as an election tool for years. Promising unity is easier said than done when there's a consistent 50/50 split on most serious issues.

However, at least he doesn't duck the heavy issues and try to appeal to everyone. He does pick a side, and usually the most logical one.
And although Obama isn't as experienced as some of the other candidates, at least he hasn't made any damaging blunders, like Huckabee. The Dumand release in 1992 was a pretty severe mistake that shouldn't be forgotten. Also, I am absolutely fed up with politicians who weild religion as a persuasive tactic (like Huckabee). It's illogical, and pretty disappointing that the technique appeals to so many.