Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Endorsements

Dottie Smith told me the other day she thought a newspaper endorsing candidates for local office was wrong. That the local paper should stay neutral and that endorsements are unfair. She thinks perhaps people just see the endorsement and so "I'll go with it."

I defended the endorsements as something most papers do based on an attempt to help others form opinions and influence events in their community. I also said I've been told some people don't want the Traveler endorsement because they think it will hurt them
:)

What do you all think?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is fine, she is just mad because you did not endorse the candidates she liked. She is a soar loser.

charles said...

I think this is reflective of how deeply we are immeresed in the notion that Arkansas City's problems are unique. We spend a so much time reinventing the wheel here instead of utilizing the wheel in its existence.

There are very few local newspapers across the country where the editor or publisher does not offer an endorsement of political candidates. It's not a Traveler specialty.

Anonymous said...

Dottie needs to understand that most of the community is intelligent enough to make their own decisions and that a newspaper is not our only source we look to in making our decisions. Should I be insulted? Yes!

Anonymous said...

I happen to agree with Dotty on this one...I think a paper should report the facts and keep their opinions to themselves!