Thursday, October 9, 2008

Boot Roberts

The printed Traveler doesn't run endorsement letters to the editors, but I'll post one here that's very interesting. Bill Fielding, past president of Creekstone Farms, takes U.S. Sen. Pat Roberts to task for not supporting Creekstone's effort to test for mad cow to sell their meat overseas. Here's the letter:

BOOT ROBERTTS
Get rid of Pat Roberts! Roberts has become what American's disdain. He's been in Washington too long and plays the "good 'ol boy" game. I sat in his office more than once. Representing Cargill and Excell (large companies), he game me his attention, time and support. Representing Creekstone (small Kansas company), he gave me 10 minutes and the privilege of listneing to the phone call he took from his wfie discussing details of the upcoming tea with Laura Bush. He not only turned his back on our request to test for mad cow, he worked against our efforts. This resulted in the loss of jobs at Creekstone, and the U.S. lost the Japanese beef market to Australia - government interference over free trade.

Jim Slattery will support free trade, he has common sense, integrity, and a desire to hear both sides of an issue. I no longer live in Kansas, but I grew up and went to college there. I'm still involved in agriculture. For the future of Kansas and the future of this country, I urge you to vote for Jim Slattery. I'm a Republican and worry about the balance in the Senate, but I know that Jim Slattery will serve the people and Roberts will only serve himself.

Willing G. Fielding
Past President, Creekstone Farms

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sen. Roberts has been representing Kansas all these years.

Can't fault the man for writing this, but am sure there is more to the story. I believe Sen. Roberts is a fair man and would not knowingly do anything to harm us here in KS.

To be fair to Sen. Roberts, perhaps you could run something from the anti-side of the story. Just for discussion sake on the blog of course.
Is that too much to ask?

Anonymous said...

Interesting information here. A couple of thoughts from a personal experience perspective. Last spring I was able to listen in on a Senator Roberts town hall via telephone. I thought it wa a good way to communicate.. It asked that you press 1 if you wanted to ask a question. I did. I did not get to speak with the Senator prior to the end of the "Town Call" session. It did allow me to leave the question with a promise that I would receive a response from the Senator via phone or mail. I never got a response. My question was regarding his unwillingness to use his influence to the benefit of our local employer noting that this was critical to our local economy.

Second data point: in the late winter and early spring of 2007, I tried to contact management of Creekstone under the explicit purpose of discussing that the Creekstone dilemma needed to be a priority of our local governing body. I felt that new members of the Commission should expressly state that keeping attention on that topic in discussion with our congressional delegation is a top priority. My goodness, it is a payroll in our community.

They never maae an effort to call me back either.

I find it interesting that the business would have whiffed on gatting the voice of elected leadership from the community behind this so very critical issue. We are tagging dogs and cats while 500 jobs hang in the balance.

How does anyone expect a political leader to make his issue a priority when it does not appear to be a priority within the community where they do business?


I have not heard anyone use their public official voice to talk about that situation in nearly two years. The last one who spoke on it only stated that they were working on it behind the scenes with Senator Roberts. I see a bit of an endless loop of futility here.

Good letter but Roberts get elected by serving his sonstituents. Creekstone cannot match the campaign donations of the lobbyist for the cattle industry in western Kansas - thos national corporate donors do not share the view of Creekstone concerning cattle testing. He needs more than a public criticism from his mangers office.

Political things are done in a political way. Voices equal votes. One voice = one vote. Dodge City, Liberal, GArden City, Salina, Hays, etc are not going to support Roberts if he hurts the profitability of their employers. Roberts knows that. I think we had better figure that one out too.

(unedited for spelling or grammar)

Anonymous said...

I tell you what... I'll start giving a damn about what anybody in management at Creekstone thinks when they stop hiring illegals and bringing them here in droves.

Anonymous said...

All very interesting points, this blogosphere is pretty amazing.