Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Smoked

Jerry Campbell, who is leading the smoking ban effort in Ark City, forwarded this email exchange between him and Senator Steve Abrams, to several people, including media. Certainly not surprising that Steve Abrams is not on board.

Below are the two email messages in their entirety, with emails and contact info redacted:

TOO BAD, HE WILL NEVER GET MY VOTE. JC
----- Original Message ----- From: "Steve Abrams"
To: "Jerry Campbell"
Sent: Wednesday, February 03, 2010 4:20 PM
Subject: RE: I urge your support of a strong smoke-free law without exemptions.


Mr. Campbell,
I don't smoke, and further, I had a grandfather that died of emphysema and a father-in-law that died of complications from smoking. They both knew that smoking was killing them and yet they continued. They made the choice.
I am not of the opinion that government can or should control more and more details of a person's life. At some point, we should all be responsible for our actions.
It is a bad habit, yet I believe that businesses should be able to determine how they want to run their own businesses.
I will oppose mandating smoke free businesses.
Thank you for your communication,
Steve Abrams
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

________________________________________
From: Site Administrator n Behalf Of Jerry Campbell
Sent: Monday, February 01, 2010 5:18 AM
To: Steve Abrams
Subject: I urge your support of a strong smoke-free law without exemptions.

Feb 1, 2010

Senator Steve Abrams
Kansas State Capitol, Room 544-N
300 SW 10th Avenue
Topeka, KS 66612-1504

Dear Senator Abrams,

According to a recent American Cancer Society poll of frequent Kansas
voters, 71% say they would favor a statewide law that prohibits smoking
in ALL indoor workplaces and public facilities, including public
buildings, offices, restaurants and bars.
You see, anytime I hear from someone about the tragic addiction they,
or a family member, or perhaps it was a friend, have suffered from
tobacco products consumption or exposure, it generates an even greater
passion to rid our society of this scourge. I have experienced the
loss in my immediate family in 2000, (here in Ark City) of tobacco
induced cancer. A co-worker having a portion of his lung removed to
save his life made an impact on me forty years ago and helped fuel my
passion. Experiencing a neighbor expire from throat and mouth cancer
in California and the hardship it brought to his spouse, only added to
my passion. I have a friend that lost her sister last year resulting
from years of tobacco consumption (and yes for you doubters, it was
medically confirmed), and the grief she is experiencing, further
incites my passion.
I am part of the vast majority of Kansans that support a strong
statewide bill. Everyone deserves the right to breathe clean indoor

air. I am writing today to urge you to support comprehensive smoke-free
legislation.

Help make Kansas a better place to live and breathe by helping to pass
a STRONG smoke-free law this session.

Sincerely,

Mr. Jerry Campbell

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am all for a public smoking ban, as I too have seen close family members die from the effects of smoking.

I can understand how, in the past, people of my father's generation (the greatest generation), took up the habit because it was "cool", or because their friends, or family, or fellow soldiers did it, but anyone who takes up the habit today, knowing the harm that it does, is just dumb.

Anonymous said...

Thank You Senator Abrams.
I am not a smoker, and I hope that my children don't smoke. But I 100% agree. If a business owner wants to allow it and I don't like I won't do business with them. But it should be the business owners choice to go smoke free.
Thank You for remembering that we are still free (aren't we) to make our own decisions.

Doc Holliday said...

David, I have a few questions for you.

Do you ever get tired of asking for more government control? Do you ever get tired of asking for more government money? Should smoking be illegal all together?


I have heard of one stance voters based on such issues as abortion and death penalty. But a one stance voter based on smoking?

Our society has become very fickle.

Anonymous said...

A business owner should get to decide if he/she wants to go smoke free. Why can't we put a notice on the door that says we smoke so don't come in if you don't like smoke.
Everyday we are giving up rights and freedoms. My right is to have a place of business that I own that I pay my taxes for, donate to the local charities, employee wager earners, and support my family. You right is not to do business with me if you don't want too.

Anonymous said...

A business owner should get to decide if he/she wants to go smoke free. Why can't we put a notice on the door that says we smoke so don't come in if you don't like smoke.
Everyday we are giving up rights and freedoms. My right is to have a place of business that I own that I pay my taxes for, donate to the local charities, employee wager earners, and support my family. You right is not to do business with me if you don't want too.

Anonymous said...

business owner's already have controls put on them by goverment to protect employees and patrons. Minimum wage, unemployment, and other rights are required by business owners. Many places have a maximum number of occupants allowed. Restaurants are checked for health. Buildings must meet fire codes. Smoking is just another protection for employees and customers. There is nothing new to this issue except that a few people are confused and think that the few smokers they cater to are the majority of their business.

Anonymous said...

I will never eat at Daisy Mae's or Bricks because they allow smoking, even though I like their food sometimes. I think they would find that alienating the few smokers would be worth gaining the many customers who don't want to breathe other's smoke.

Anonymous said...

To the non-smokers you have 40 eateries that you can choose from and yet you want to control the owners of the two you mentioned. Smokers respect the non-smoking resturants, why do you have to force your wants on the very few owners that allow smoking.